Navigation Menu+

That Same Pot

Posted on Sep 15, 2016

The fully rendered, now fully usable model, using one cylinder polygon.

So I’ve discovered something bizarre, and the theory checks out — Maya introduces errors when extruding edges. Boo-urns.

Alright, so we’ve taken the same pot as before, created it from a polygon cylinder, and the interior didn’t include and edge extrusions from the top down:

The top inner ring of faces was extruded only once, all the way down to the bottom, where we need to the bottom depth of the pot to finish off. After that, the edge loop tool was used on that single interior extrusion, to create more edges to work with, reshaping them to fit the inside of the pot.

Long story short, I went back to straight up polygons with the pottery project, as I noticed that anytime I’d done a 360 revolve with a CV Curve line, there was always a seam left. While I could have gone down the entire seam, and merged all vertices downward (after converting the Nurb to a polygonal object), this method actually works out to being far more time consuming.

Fascinating.